Friday, April 2, 2010

I forgot it was Friday

So, I'm supposed to do something awesome (like all of my other blogs that are so awesome), but I really don't feel like it today. It hasn't been the best week.

I have learned a lot this week about myself, the nature of human beings, and what it means to give your whole heart.

I want to chat about these things for a moment.

I have realized that I live my life half heartedly. I am afraid of being rejected or getting let down, so instead of being passionate about things that matter (because I can get pretty passionate about dumb stuff like Harry Potter, Superman, and Spock) I am more indifferent and passive because the let down might be too much for me. Call it a lack of faith? Me too. That is where the "whole heart" business comes into play. If you want to find joy in life, you've got to give your whole heart to something or someone.

In a relationship it cannot work if you are not willing to give your whole heart. Because in every relationship you have you will need to resolve conflicts and disagreements. People do dumb stuff and you can't hold that against them because tomorrow you are doing to do something dumb too. So, if you haven't openly given your whole heart to someone, those problems will arise and your relationship will not last. When you are completely invested in someone you will do the small things to make it work that otherwise you wouldn't. You will be willing to sacrifice. Heavenly Father knows what he's talking about in having his children make commitments and enter into covenants. If they didn't, most of his children would not do the small, daily things necessary to be happy here on earth and after.

So, the question isn't, are we compatible? or Do we spend enough time together? Those are important, but the real question at hand is, "Am I willing to give him/her my whole heart?" and the next question is "Is he/she willing to give me his/her whole heart?" When you both can say yes to that answer with true intention to actually do it, that is when you know you've got a keeper.

Here is how I learned that. I like to think that I'm awesome and that I can control how I feel about anything. WRONG. I do not have that power. I think I'm probably worse at that than the average person. Each of us has needs and they are real and important. I thought that I could just stop myself from being bothered by something if I wanted to. WRONG! I have needs and they cannot be brushed aside. It is the same way with everyone. Don't deny yourself of what you need. That is no way to be happy in life.

Relating this to our whole heartedness I have realized an amazing thing. When you have given your whole heart to someone you will be willing to do your best to fulfill his/her needs. And they will do the same for you. That is why everything hinges on that. If you can't give your whole heart and allow another to give you theirs, it cannot work out. It will be too hard and you will be unhappy.

"Thou shalt love they wife(husband) with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else."
D&C 42:22

4 comments:

rachel v. said...

beautifully put :) you are awesome

Riley said...

Deep...

brittany said...

What great thoughts. I had a conversation with my sister yesterday on a similar subject, and I am going to share your post with her. Thanks!

Erin said...

This was very nicely put. First of all though, I don't think you are as half hearted as you think you are. I think you put a lot of yourself into a lot of things.

Second of all, you are right. When you are 100% invested in someone or something, it's better than if you are only halfway there. And I think that is one of the ultimate questions to ask yourself--"am I willing to give this everything I have?" to find out if it's right. You are so good at being really self-reflective, I love it.

About Me