Friday, April 9, 2010

Freedom to Choose

It's a commonly taught doctrine in my church that each person is free to make their own choices. Every action we take is a direct result of a choice we make whether or not we are aware of it. They teach, and I believe it, that if we make good choices we will be happy and if we make poor choices we will have to deal with the consequences. It's a simple concept right?

Here is where it gets complicated. Another significant and character-defining doctrine I have been taught is that doing the will of God will always make us happier than doing merely what we want to do. Many times we think we know what is best for us when in actuality it may not be that good for us at all. I think you all know what I'm talking about.

So, here is my two cents. Something that I have been learning pretty much since I got home from my mission. Well, actually, let me start from there. As a missionary you learn how to follow the spirit. You learn to override your own methods about how to get the work done and to follow the guidance that Heavenly Father is giving you. Our way of doing things comes from our very limited and ignorant manner of thinking whereas God's ways generate from seeing the whole picture. As a missionary you learn to stop working as an individual and to start working as a team with God. And that is when you start to be successful.

Why then, after learning such a valuable lesson, did I come home and revert back to doing things my way? I'll tell you why, because it's hard to give up what you want and what you think is best. Especially when you REALLY want it and you think it's going to make you happy. That's the key right there. You THINK it's going to make you happy. You THINK you know. So what happens when you get that feeling inside telling you that it may not be right? The Holy Ghost who tells us all things that we should do. Do you listen to that prompting, or do you trust your own "knowledge?"


Now you are at a crossroad. Do you do what you want to do or do you trust that God is leading you in a direction to help you be happy? How can we be happy if we don't get what we want? Isn't that the big question?

This is what has been on my mind lately. Do I have enough faith to give up what I think would make me happy to do what God wants me to do? Is it really going to lead to something better? It seems most unpleasant and it is VERY difficult right now. Will it get better?

I do not doubt that at some point in every person's life they will ask themselves these same questions. Probably numerous times throughout their lifetime. These moments are when we learn what we are made of. How strong is your faith really? They are like our own personal Gethsemane's when we can follow the example of Jesus Christ by saying, "not my will, but thine be done." There will be "bitter cups" in our lives that we will be asked to drink. I don't think the road to happiness is decorated with flowers and sunshine. The rain falls on the good and the bad.

Now, circling back to the main point of this post. You are free to choose. You can fly solo and end up wherever your whims and fancies take you. Or, you can work as a team with God. Telling him what you want and where you'd like to go and asking him to help you get there while remaining open to changes where God might put a little something extra in there that is better than anything you would have dreamed up. Really, just stressing a little less and trusting a little more.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
Proversbs 3 : 5-6

6 comments:

Tay said...

Sorry and congratulations on reaching this point in your life. It's big, but you can do it! It would be nice if what we want to do and what God wants us to do correlated. Or at least made sense why He wanted us to do it. Personally, following what He wanted led me to good things, though sometimes I'm bewildered by it still. Maybe someday it will all make sense, even when the decision is long past.

Kiley said...

:)

Erin said...

Shelly, your new blog is pretty.

And I think this is one of the hardest things in life. Especially if you're like me and you're a rationalizer. I think things like, "Well, Heavenly Father wants me to be happy. And doing what I want makes me happy. So I should do what I want." The danger comes, though, when you maybe realize that it only makes you happy temporarily. You are so introspective and good at self-examination. That's something I need to be better at.

Erin said...

Kiley, same time!

also, my word verification was prinee, and I thought it said prince and I thought my computer knew what I was saying.

Cierra said...

nicely put shelly. i agree, it IS one of the hardest things we have to learn, and it is definitely something i struggle with. thanks for your inspiring words!

RobAar said...

Love your insight! (especially relating what you learned on a mission.) For those of us who haven't served, it's enlightening because so far, my everyday life hasn't demanded the same commitment to the Lord (maybe it should? I don't know). I don't think I've ever entirely surrendered my will, but will be mindful that it doesn't take a mission to do so.

About Me