Friday, March 5, 2010

The Next Level

Yes my friends, we are taking this to the next level.

For me, the most important part about music is the way it makes me feel. I love it when you hear a song that fits your mood perfectly. When I have a lot of pent up energy I like to listen to songs with strong and fast beats. When I want to sing I listen to pop. When I want to feel inspired I listen to the following two soundtracks:

The Village
Lady in the Water

I love them. Somehow, they touch my soul.

Here is the game. I want you to listen to them and tell me how they make you feel or what you think about them. Here are some favorites:

The Village : The Vote and The Gravel Road (listen to the violin)

Lady in the Water: The Healing (especially from the 1:30 point and at 2:20) and Cereal Boxes (Listen for the flow of the song at 1:30)

There are so many things I could write about why I love them. Part of it is what the movie is expressing when these songs are played. Especially for The Healing. It is hopeful and inspiring.

Anyway, points for anyone who actually does this.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I did this. And I also took little notes on post-it notes as I listened so I could adequately convey my feelings and thoughts to you.

The Vote: Made me think about England. A very misty, mysterious, foggy moors and manor houses kind of England. I read Wuthering Heights a couple of months ago and it is still lingering around my brain, making me cold and brooding, just like it.

The Gravel Road: Made me feel very calm and happy. It sounds like a hymn to me, the kind of hymn that the people in the Village would be listening to, a sort of simple, pastoral sounding hymn. The very end was scary though.

The Healing: I really love the melody. And I felt like the music was very deep and rich, but the high piano notes keep it really light and pretty, and that makes a really pretty sound. At about 2:40 until it starts to get minor was my favorite part.

Cereal Boxes: I just felt like this was so mysterious. And actually, if I didn't know what movie this was from, and just heard it, I really think I would think to myself, "This sounds like music that would be in Signs, or The Village, or something." So good work, M. Night, you've got a lot of style. I also liked it at 1:30, how it sort of shifted. I also liked how it was sort of choral (coral? lady in the water? get it?) at some parts.

And Joaquin Phoenix speaks to my soul. But only in The Village. Not on David Letterman. Please tell me you've seen that. If you haven't, go to this website right now: You Tube. Then type in Joaquin Phoenix David Letterman, watch it, and tell me how you feel. And then give me more points, because I am LOSING in this game.

Sara said...

I am in the swkt lab. remind me to check this at home later so I can actually turn the music on. love you.

About Me