Thursday, June 24, 2010

A good thing

You know what is a good thing? This phrase:

"All's well that ends well."

It is the title of a play written by Shakespeare. Last semester I went to see a friend play Lady Macbeth at BYU-Idaho and realized how interesting Shakespeare is. He understands human emotions and articulates the so well. It was then that I answered the question that people often ask at get-to-know-you activities, "If you could meet any person dead or alive, who would it be?" And I know now that I would promptly say, William Shakespeare. He must be so fascinating. I would love to listen to his perspective on life and the world around us.

Now, back to the phrase. I find that it rings so true in our lives. All IS well that ends well. I can get caught up in all of my mistakes and dwell on them so much that I feel like very little good can come from me. But, I think it's all part of the journey to the "end." The end might be a marathon, learning a language, a big test, learning a song on an instrument, anything. Along the way we make so many errors and we can get to the point where we think that we can't do it because of all the mistakes we made. But, if we keep trying and want it bad enough, we will get to the "end" and finish the race or pass the test. And in the end, "all's well that ends well." And the mistakes were just opportunities to learn something and be better for it.

Now a little tribute to Shakespeare:

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

"Nothing can come of nothing.

"They do not love that do not show their love."

"Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven."

2 comments:

Erin said...

I LOVE the new background.

And Shakespeare has so many awesome one-liners like that. And you hear them and just think, oh, cool. But if you really think about it, you're right, there's a lot to it.

the.kim.peterson said...

Excellent choices. Which plays are they from? Out of curiosity.

About Me