Monday, June 14, 2010

Accidents? I think not.

I was going to say that lately I've been thinking about where to take my life, but then I realized that is something I think about constantly so really I should use the word daily. On a daily basis I wonder what I should be doing with my life. I wonder if I should be trying harder to meet people or what should I do for my internship. Should I move out of my house? Should I buy a car? Should I try to get a second job? So many things to think about. At church yesterday a profound thought came to me and I believe that it is true. Here it goes:
(don't be jealous of my amazing art work)

So, life is like this line. The flat part represents everyday life. Most days are just normal days with nothing really big going on. The raised parts represent the good times. The extra special awesome times like getting married, having a baby, getting a really good job, and so forth. The lowered parts represents the hard times like disappointments in a relationship or in a a job, deaths, any sort of trial.

You will notice that the majority of this line (our life) is filled with a flat line (or normal days). In these days we get to choose where it will lead us. Our everyday choices and actions will reflect our desires and personal will. We direct our path.


The ups and downs are a little bit different because I believe they are put into our lives by God to bless us. The downs are blessings just like the ups are. We can learn so much from our trials, that is what they are intended for. But I believe that in the moments where the line moves up or down that God has put his hands a little more firmly on the steering wheel to direct our path. I know that God is always a part of what goes on in our lives, even on the normal days. But, the ups and downs are times when God makes manifest his hand in our lives and puts us where we need to be. Most of our days we choose. We can do what we want with our lives, that is a gift that God has given to us. However, sometimes God will take a little more action in our lives to keep us on the right path.

This is something important to me because I feel like right now I am in a "flat" part of my life. There are so many options to choose from and it really is just up to me what I choose to do. I can save up for a car. I can do my internship in another country. I could move out and meet new people. That is the beauty of free agency, we can do whatever we want. And you all know that "I do what I want."

To prove my point. Today I heard two stories that back me up. I have a friend who told me about her friend (sounds sketchy but it's real) who went to the MTC and had a heartattack. As a result he couldn't go on a mission because he was too much of a liability to the church because they didn't know what had caused it. That to me is one of those moments where God took control and put this person where he was supposed to be. He hasn't had any problems since and the doctors could not explain it. My explanation is that God stepped in and directed his path.

Another is my friend's brother went up to Alaska with his buddies to work for the summer. 4 days after he got there he fell off his bike and had to go back home for surgery and he cannot go back because he has to do physical therapy three times a week. God knows where we should be and no matter what choices we make, he will make sure that we are in the right place at the right time if we are doing the things we should be and keeping ourselves worthy of that help.

My point being, do what you want to do. Do what is right and things will fall into place when they should. Sometimes we are so caught up in what to do next that we don't enjoy the moment we are in. Heavenly Father knows what we need and will place events, people, and experiences in our lives when we need them. Control what you can and don't worry about what you can't.

"Be of good cheer, for I will lead you along." (D&C 78:18)

3 comments:

Kiley said...

True, true, true. I needed to hear it so thank you.

Melissa F said...

Shelly, you make so many great points in this post. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, there's always some uncertainties and it can be scary to determine what the "right" thing is. That's a lot of pressure to put on myself. Instead, I've learned to rely on faith and trust in God that He'll help me know what I should do.

Erin said...

I kind of feel like that a lot. Like I'm restless for something new and exciting to happen, but I need to stop being like that because if I'm restless for something new to happen, all I'm doing is missing what is happening right now.

Word verification is pansee. Don't be one.

About Me